Search This Blog

Friday, June 30, 2017


USING GOOGLE FORMS FOR ASSIGNMENTS

In the previous post, I mentioned using Google Forms for evaluating student work.  I just finished "grading papers" this way, and I like it very much.

I created the assignment in Google Forms and in addition to the question, was able to include the correct answer and assign a point value.  I then posted the form in Google Classroom as an assignment.

As students completed their assignment by responding to the questions/items on the form, their responses were recorded and organized.  I was then able to view responses in a few ways:  by each student (just as if they had handed in a worksheet);  or, by question item.

I used the latter method to evaluate responses.  This made it easier to be consistent, and since it was anonymous, I'm certain my evaluation was unbiased.  When I was finished, I was able to analyze the results in a few ways:  the overall range of scores, the items most frequently missed, and the frequency of particular responses.  I also had a spreadsheet which recorded the student's name, email address, score, and individual responses.

Here are some screenshots:


"SUMMARY" VIEW OF RESPONSES


This shows the Summary View.  You can see the average, median and range of scores, as well as frequently missed questions.  There is also a link to release scores back to students.



"QUESTION" VIEW OF RESPONSES
This is a sample of the "Question" view.  Here students had to change sentence fragments into full sentences.  The top box shows the original question, with the correct answer.  The next box shows a response;  note the buttons for marking the response correct, wrong, or in point increments.


"INDIVIDUAL" VIEW OF RESPONSES
This is the Individual View of Responses. You can apply a point value, add individual feedback, and then release that student's score.  (This is a sample of my responses.  Amazingly, I had a perfect score--it's good to grade your own work!)







No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK IN BLOG

Since last post, the class has been able to bring their Chromebooks home and use them at anytime.  We've become accustomed to using them...